Wednesday, February 20, 2013

New Pantry Staples

I try to keep my pantry stocked so that I don't need to run to the grocery store each time I prepare dinner.  Having a variety of staples allows me to use leftovers creatively too.  While these products may not be new to consumers, they are new to me and I thought I'd share.

Nothing new about black beans but these beans are packaged in a pouch and are microwaveable.  The beans are in a seasoned sauce and have 130 calories per 1/2 cup serving, 2 servings per package.  I made fish tacos the other night and we had these beans on the side.  Great for a quick meal.
I was at the grocery store searching for corn tortillas to cut into strip and fry for topping my tortilla soup.  My gaze shifted to the right and I spied these packaged tortilla strips.  No decision here, frying was done for me.  The zip lock pouch keeps these fresh for the next time I want to use them.  
In our house it was an unwritten rule that Heinz was THE ketchup.  Hubby brought to my attention, Cook's Country ketchup taste test.  In the blind test, the Heinz Organic ketchup nudged slightly ahead of the Hunt's 100% Natural product as the best tasting ketchup.  BUT the Hunt's product is 1/2 the price of the Heinz Organic and therefore considered the best buy.  The non-fructose product has a very bright, fresh taste.  I'm a fan.  You can watch the video of the taste test by clicking here.  

What pantry staples do you like to keep around?  Any new ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin