Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Wild Rice Stuffing with Pearl Onions, Dried Cherries and Apricots

I would love nothing more than to show you a beautifully styled photo of this great side dish for Thanksgiving.  BUT, I am in Philadelphia helping my daughter and son-in-law move into a new house and I won't be making this until Thanksgiving day.  I did want to share this with you because it is a really good dish and so different from potatoes, bread stuffing, sweet potato casserole and all the other usual Thanksgiving side dishes.  

The recipe is one I've used for years from Bon Appetit 1998.  It is now on Epicurious and you can view it here.  The recipe calls for a combination of wild and white rice but I've been very happy with this gourmet blend from Lundberg.  The rice is cooked in broth with thyme.

While the rice cooks, blanched and peeled pearl onions are sautéd in butter.  

Just before removing the rice from the heat, chopped dried apricots, dried cherries and raisins are to the mixture and simmered for 3 minutes.  The rice is then removed from the heat and butter and the onions are added along with toasted pecans.

The rice stuffing can be cooked inside the turkey or in a baking dish.  
My lactose intolerant friend will be able to eat this dish as butter does not bother her.  

I love this dish as a Thanksgiving leftover too.  AND it is equally delicious with pork, especially as a stuffing with Crown Roast of Pork.  

Let me know if you give it a try.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin