Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Warm Chocolate Tarts


Chances are, pumpkin pie will be served at most thanksgiving dinners.  Chances are also good that half of the guests don’t like pumpkin.  An alternative is needed.  Tradition would probably dictate apple or pecan pie but how about chocolate?  Certainly chocolate is not your typical Thanksgiving dessert alternative but undeniably a tempting choice.  
image  a borrowed image since I have not baked mine yet
I am offering a decadent, do-ahead, crowd-pleasing, award winning, EASY chocolate dessert.  You may know warm chocolate tarts as molten chocolate cake or lava cake.  No matter what you call it, this dessert is exceptional.  


Mousse like consistency...this is ready for the freezer
I made this dessert on Saturday and put the ramekins of unbaked batter into the freezer where it will remain until 22 minutes prior to serving.  You see, the trick to the molten cake center is to take the frozen ramekins straight from the freezer to the preheated oven and baking the frozen batter just until the edges are set.  Then the half baked cakes are allowed to set on the counter for just 10 minutes before being inverted onto individual plates for serving.  
borrowed image
A scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream enhances the dark, rich tarts and a beautiful berry or two completes the visual seduction.

So where is my photo of the completed dessert to tempt you?  Well you see, soon after I popped my ramekins into the freezer I began to enter the recipe into a blog draft for future posting.  As I finished typing the recipe I realized that I forgot to add the baking powder.  So, I defrosted the individual ramekins, scooped out the batter, got out my mixer and then added the forgotten ingredient.  Back into the little cups and into the freezer where they are awaiting their bake-off Thanksgiving Day. I had to catch a plane for Philadelphia and didn't have time to bake one of my tarts to show you.   

Here is the recipe.  Be sure to take your time beating the ingredients until they reach mousse consistency.  AND don't forget the baking powder.



4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons flour
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Lightly butter 6, 1 cup souffle dishes/ramekins.  Melt both chocolates in top of double boiler over barely simmering water stirring until smooth.  Add butter and sugar and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves.  Transfer to large bowl.  Add eggs, then flour, cocoa and baking powder.  Using electric mixer, beat until mixture thickens to mousse consistency, about 8 minutes.  Divide mixture among prepared dishes.  Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 3 hours.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.  Peel plastic off frozen dishes.  Bake until edges are set and centers are still moist and shiny, about 11 minutes.  do not over bake.  Cool exactly 10 minutes and then invert 1 dessert onto each plate.  Serve warm with ice cream, or whipped cream if desired.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  
Shop 'til you drop on Friday and I'll see you on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate in any form and any occasion is a welcome treat for me.

    Oh and that image really calls my name,
    got to give in to my craving but don't tell my Doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin