Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Strawberry Picking

When it comes to strawberries, I'm very picky.  I pick them myself.  

I find that strawberries that aren't locally grown, are not juicy or flavorful.  I will wait for the local crop and then pick the berries and use them within hours.  The berries that don't make it into shortcake, topping a bowl of cereal or on ice cream will be made into jam or frozen to use later in ice cream or in a smoothie.  


This week, instead of freezing extra berries, I roasted them.  So simple, just 20 minutes in a 375 degree F oven with your choice of sweetener and a bit of balsamic.  Roasting intensified the strawberry flavor and produced a lovely syrup .  The roasted berries and syrup are wonderful on ice cream, yogurt, hot cereal, pound cake and anything else you'd like to top.  You can view the easy recipe by clicking here.


Some berries turned a spinach salad into a real treat.  The salad also featured bleu cheese, avocado and a balsamic dressing.

How do you like your strawberries?








2 comments:

  1. I still haven't tried roasting strawberries.
    I love putting some cream and milk on my strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ADORE strawberries!!! We had them on our wedding cake in 1975. I bake pies, put them in salads, cereal, muffins, ice cream-anything and everything. I'm with you, they must be sweet. i've never roasted them. i'll do it soon. we're headed to northern Wisconsin. I'll look for a self pick and roast some strawberries! Thanks....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin