Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pomegranate Molasses

Pomegranate molasses is my new, favorite ingredient.  
While I was visiting family in NJ over the holidays, Mom and I checked out a new spice shop.  The Savory Spice Shop in Princeton is a part of the chain of shops and online business devoted to fresh spices and seasonings.

Mom suggested that I try something new and I chose Pomegranate Molasses.

The molasses looks like a thick, ruby red syrup.  The flavor is intense pomegranate.  Sweet, but not too sweet.


So, when I returned home, the search was on for how to use pomegranate molasses.  It is a common ingredient in middle eastern cooking but that is not my normal realm of cookery.  A Google search gave me the idea of chicken with a salsa of avocado and pomegranate.  The avocado was creamy and the pomegranate seeds "popped" with juicy sweetness. Lime juice, cilantro and jalapeno added to the salsa flavor.  Hubby was a big fan of this meal.   See the recipe at the end of the post.


Pomegranate molasses added to roasting carrots with Moroccan seasonings were delicious.   I tossed carrots with olive oil, ground cumin, cayenne pepper and crushed coriander seeds at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes, flipping the carrots 1-2 times.  Then I added about 1 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses to the roasted carrots, flipped and roasted another 5 minutes.  The carrots were savory-sweet and had a wonderful aroma and taste.  I decided to go a step further and puree the carrots with some carrot juice I had in the refrigerator.  This is a great way to serve a colorful vegetable and prepare it way in advance.  I topped the pureed carrots with some pomegranate seeds.  Fantastic!

Adding a 1/2 teaspoon of pomegranate molasses to a vinaigrette salad dressing is a great way to incorporate flavor into a otherwise plain salad.  

For a sweet treat, top ice cream with pomegranate molasses.  It will be your new favorite.

Avocado, Pomegranate Salsa
1 avodacao, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
juice and zest of 1 lime
3 scallions, white and green sliced thinly
1 jalapeno seeded and diced fine
2 - 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with kosher salt.  May be made up to 1 hour prior to serving.




3 comments:

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin