Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Monday and Happy Halloween

Over the weekend I tried some recipes for some food I was planning on serving at my annual holiday party.  Let's just say I'm glad I tried them out on hubby instead of guests.  One of the recipes was for a creative "pork and beans".  Using mini muffin pans and bacon strips, I was to form bacon "cups" for some spicy beans.  The bacon cups were a disaster and a greasy clean up but the beans are delicious.  I think they would be an excellent dish for Meatless Monday, if you don't count the bacon.  


photo from Bite by Bite by Peter Callahan

In all fairness, I used thick bacon for the cups and the recipe calls for thin bacon.  I'll try once more.  You can view the entire recipe by clicking here.  I just bought the book Bite by Bite and it is a wonderful, creative inspiration for one bite hors d'oeuvres. 


Here is my "slightly adapted" recipe for the beans. 


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 15.8 oz cans navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup port wine
2 slices thick-cut bacon, finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons dark molasses
1 teaspoon chili powder (I used chipotle chili powder)
2 teaspoon coarse salt


Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Bring beans to a simmer.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until liquid is reduced by half.  
Beans can be prepared and refrigerated up to 3 days in advance.  Serve warm or room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. These look really, really good. I can't wait to try them!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin