Thursday, May 19, 2011

Candelaria, Izrael and Couscous

Wednesday was definitely a multi-cultural day for me in Paris.
These tacos were so good I took a bite before I remembered to take a photo. 
NYTimes photo
Candelaria is a miniscule restaurant in the Marais that has gotten recent attention with an article in the NYTimes T magazine.  
House-made tortillas are just the beginning of the authentic, fresh flavors found at Candelaria.

After lunch, I tracked down Izrael, an eclectic grocery store I had read about.  

You can find food and flavors from all over the world.  I even saw a package of Aunt Jemima pancake mix!   

I had lots of fun looking around but my one take-home find is this glass tube filled with a spicy oil and topped with an atomizer to spray the oil on salad, fish, or other food.  

Imagine sitting down to a table in a restaurant already set with these small plates of food!
This is how dinner began at our Tunisian couscous restaurant.  Lots of great flavors from cumin and dill.  
No way did I even get close to finishing this huge bowl filled with couscous, carrots, lamb sausage, beef and chickpeas.  I did manage to finish off the feast with mint tea(in one of my favorite Moroccan tea glasses) and some honey-laden treats.  

Please do not think that all I did on Wednesday was eat.  Mais no!  

Rounding out the culturally diverse day, I viewed the special exhibit at the Paris Museum of Jewish Art and History of Marc Chagall's illustrations of the Hebrew Bible.  I am a huge fan of Chagall ever since I viewed his amazing stained glass windows in the Marc Chagall Museum in Nice, France. 

  

1 comment:

  1. i am so jealous that you're in paris! i lived for a summer during college - c'est magnifique! looks like you're having a fantistic time (and having some amazing food).

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin