Tuesday, March 23, 2010

6 Classic Dishes: Roast Chicken

Roast Chicken is the third dish in the series of 


I absolutely agree that Roast Chicken is a classic, comfort food everyone should know how to make.  I made roast chicken tonight for dinner.  It is a rainy, damp, cool evening and the delicious aroma of roasting chicken filled the house and heightened the anticipation for dinner.  Creamy mashed potatoes and roasted brussels sprout rounded out the meal.  I roasted a 4 lb bird and hubby and I ate about one third so now I have meat for sandwiches or a jump on a meal later in the week using the already prepared meat. 
Roast chicken is a great Sunday night supper.  A good idea would be to roast TWO chickens to assure leftover meat for a  quick prep meal later in the week.  Of course you can use the carcass to make stock or as the base for chicken soup
The recipe referred to in the original article was an epicurious.com recipe that you can view by clicking here.   Martha Stewart gives some good tips in this recipe but it neglects to give oven temp (425 degrees F) and roasting time (1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on size of chicken)  I love the idea of the thick onion slices under the chicken.  They are outrageously delicious.  I use either thyme or rosemary in the cavity along with lemon and garlic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I love to hear from readers of Spiral Style

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin